The bathroom is an essential space in every home, providing comfort and privacy. However, for those with disabilities or mobility issues, navigating a standard bathroom can pose challenges. Dimora Designs is committed to designing and constructing bathrooms that are not only visually appealing but also comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards.
Understanding the ADA
The ADA, established in 1990, is a federal law that ensures equal opportunities for people with disabilities. It sets guidelines and standards for accessible design in public and commercial buildings, including bathrooms. These guidelines aim to eliminate barriers and promote accessibility for all individuals, regardless of their disabilities.
Designing for Accessibility
At Dimora Designs, we take the ADA compliance guidelines seriously when designing bathrooms. Here are some key elements we incorporate to create a bathroom that is accessible to everyone:
1. Clear Floor Space: We leave a minimum clearance of 27 inches from the center of the bathroom fixtures to the finished floor. This allows for wheelchair maneuverability and provides ample space for individuals with visual impairments or mobility aids.
2. Accessible Stalls: We install stalls that are at least 36 inches wide with a turning radius of 60 inches. This allows for easier access and use by individuals in
wheelchairs or with other mobility limitations.
3. Handrails: We provide grab bars or handrails throughout the bathroom, including by the toilet, shower, and bathtub. These aids provide stability and prevent slips or falls.
4. Toilet Placement: We position toilets with at least 18 inches of clear space behind them, allowing individuals with physical disabilities to transfer with ease.
5. Accessible Showers: We design accessible showers with grab bars, adjustable shower seats, and a threshold that
is flush with the bathroom floor. This ensures that individuals in wheelchairs or with mobility impairments can enter and shower safely.
6. Elevator or Ramp Access: In cases where the bathroom is located in an upper floor or mezzanine level, we ensure that there is adequate elevator or ramp access. This enables individuals with disabilities to
reach the bathroom independently.
Designing and constructing ADA compliant bathrooms not only ensures accessibility for those with physical limitations but also promotes inclusivity and equality.
Other factors we believe are important to include:
Switches and outlets with built in lights for easier navigation in the dark.
Curb-less or Zero Entry Walk in Showers to reduce trips and falls in the shower.
Upgraded toilets with power to include built in bidets.
Touch-less faucets with sprayers.
Pull- out drawers in cabinets and closets
Dimora Designs is committed to creating bathrooms that are not only visually stunning but also accessible and compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act. By incorporating key elements like clear floor space, accessible stalls, handrails, toilet placement, accessible showers, elevator or ramp access, we ensure that every bathroom is usable by everyone, regardless of their disability. These bathrooms are a testament to our commitment to inclusivity and equality, making a positive difference in the lives of individuals with disabilities.